Sunday, March 12, 2006

Full Moon, Part Four

Blogger and I are through. The new site.

My roommate M was lighting a cigarette as I slid the glass door shut. I stood on the balcony, stamping my feet and shivering under my blanket. "How was your weekend?" I asked, my words released in whisps of white.

"Got laid twice," she said with a chuckle. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"You've been playing Mariah for the past three hours."

"Aw, shit. I didn't think it was so loud."

"It wasn't. The walls are thinner than we think, that's all." She sat back and laughed. "If I knew it was so easy to get laid here, I would have left for Korea a long time ago."

It was the first time we'd spoken candidly in weeks. Spending 24 hours a day together had taken its toll on our relationship, and usually we locked ourselves in our bedrooms and waited for the other to leave. We didn't even acknowledge each other at work.

"I'm happy for you," I said, and I really wasn't. All I could feel was envy and alienation. I just wanted the apartment to myself so I could play shitty love ballads without embarrassing myself.

She pressed her Marbolo into her ashtray and leaned back in her lawnchair. "I could have sworn you were going to hook up with that guy from New York. You two looked so . . ." She rolled her eyes in thought before taking out another cig. "Intimate."

"Yeah, well, tell that to the women he's been fucking since he stepped in Seoul."

"That's no surprise. He's gorgeous." As she said this, she sighed to herself and took a long drag. "But do they know him as well as you do?"

"What makes you think I know him more than the others?"

"You two were in your own little world that night. Even when you left to talk to the girls, he waited for you. The way you two watched each other . . . I could have sworn it was going to happen."

Pia at 4:19 PM

1 comments

1 Comments

at 2:35 PM Blogger Kevin Sole said...

Most assuredly, I would not want to be on the recieving end of one of your roundhouse kicks.

Ah, that intimate look. When you just pause and stare into the persons eyes, and you know they're staring bakc and you just feel comfortable in that silence.

I know it well.

It broke my heart.

Wow... alcohol finally kicking in. :)

 

Post a Comment