Sunday, February 26, 2006

Silence

"So I was supposed to tell him tonight. You know, that I like-him-like-him. Put the ball in his court. Because why should I have to hold a torch for him for another month while he's oblivious? I just wanted to get the whole thing off my chest."

T and I lean back in our booth in what has become "our place." Small, dimly lit and uncrowded, its one of the only places in Itaewon where two young, pretty Asian-Americans can talk without getting manhandled by skeevy expats.

"But he isn't here tonight," T said.

"I know. And I was prepared for rejection, you know? I mean, he's the nicest guy I've met here, he's good-looking and artistic and I've had these intense feelings for him since I saw his bookcase. Christ, I just want to find something that's wrong with him."

"Guys like him are hard to find here."

"Guys like him are hard to find anywhere. The problem is that every girl he meets thinks the same thing. He gets hit on everywhere."

"So how were you going to tell him?"

I shuffled in my seat. "That's what's weird about it. I didn't have a plan. When I ask a guy out, I usually have some kind of strategy. I usually have a speech--and a backup speech--I'm a perfectionist with this stuff. I have to know exactly what to do. But this . . . I wasn't sure what was going to happen."

"Call him."

"Well, I can't now. He had sex last night."

"Wow, Pia. I'm sorry . . . But why don't you tell him anyway?"

"He's spending the whole day with her. K says he doesn't even like her, but she just arrived and she's scared shitless. So now he feels obligated to her. I guess I can't blame him. I would probably take care of her too. I guess I'm just disappointed.

"I can't judge him," I quickly added. "I mean, he's young, he's a foreigner and he's only going to be here for another nine months. But he told me he didn't want one-night stands anymore. He said he was embarrassed about that last time.

"But then he gets drunk and fucks a coworker!

"But who knows," I drawl, finishing my rum and coke. "Maybe he'll grow to like her. And then I can get over him. But I'll promise you this--the next time I find a guy like him, I'm just going to act on my gut and ask him out.

"I'm just going to put myself out there, because that's the only way I'm going to get over him, right?"

Pia at 9:34 AM

3 comments

3 Comments

at 12:46 PM Blogger Kevin Sole said...

Love me the rum and coke.

Enjoying the story so far hun. Be interesting to see it all collected. That's the kind of thing I (and, I apologize for hijaking your comments for this little interior dialogue) need to do: write a story, dialogue and small scene descriptions, and then adapt it into something else, like a comic book, or a short story.

Keep it up!

 
at 12:50 AM Blogger Pia said...

Oh, Kevin, who knows if this story will ever be resolved.

I can understand where you're coming from. It's hard to get motivated and write something. That's why I love this blog. It's the only time I can flex my creative muscles.

Good luck with your own work--

 
at 6:18 AM Blogger Kevin Sole said...

All stories get resolved sweety.

My creative muscles have been feeling weak. My blog is lame. :p

 

Post a Comment