Sunday, February 19, 2006

Resolutions

New blouse. New heels. New purse. New earrings. Manicure. Push-up bra. All for a guy who didn’t even show up.

Spent the night at a friend’s place—left shortly after he crawled into bed and tried to spoon me.

“All you need is one good fuck,” he murmured as I shut the door behind me.

I stood at the subway station at five a.m., hair askew, mascara pooling under my eyes, underwire digging into my flesh, liquor lacing my breath. I stared out at a monk waiting across the tracks. I missed the temple.

I knew then this wasn’t the life for me—the smog, the booze, the bars, the shiny fingernails and pretty clothes. I’ve always longed for something else.

Somewhere in Korea, there’s a place for me. A place where I can see the stars at night, where the tall grass wavers in the crisp air and the rice fields flourish. A place with rows of mountains and dirt that will deliciously crumble under my feet. With beaches where I can sit back, watch the sun rise and meditate. Where I can sip a cup of green tea and accept my shortcomings, failures, successes and death.

A place with where I could grow and thrive and celebrate my life.

Just give me nine more months to finish my contract.

“How do you think Mom and Pa would react if I converted to Buddhism?” I asked my sister this morning.

Nine months. Then I'll go back.

Pia at 10:56 AM

3 comments

3 Comments

at 11:57 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
at 12:04 PM Blogger Kevin Sole said...

Either that's either ... not a very good joke, or an incredibly insensetive comment.

I'm going to assume it was a joke.

As for the post? The guy is still an asshole.

And you'll find that place. I know the feeling intimately. I have a rather intense hatred for cities in general. I have a place I can go, and .. maybe one day I will.

But I always planned to go there.. alone.

Ah, whole different story, that one.

 
at 12:12 PM Blogger Pia said...

As insightful as I found your comment, Mister Gibson, I had to remove it. Damnation and hellfire don't sit well with me on Sunday mornings.

 

Post a Comment