Friday, February 17, 2006

Full Moon, Part One

The night before Lunar New Year’s Day, K rested his hand on my knee as we ate pancakes in the New Yorker's apartment.

“What are you doing?” I snapped. I was never in the mood for his drunken come-ons. I slapped him away and he laughed mockingly.

“You’re so stiff all the time. Just relax,” he said, taking my wrists.

Stocky and muscular, he outweighed me by at least 125 pounds. I dug my foot into his stomach and tried pushed him back. “I mean it. Stop!”

“You’re such a wildcat.” His hand moved up my thigh. I gritted my teeth and glared at him. For a second his face fell and he looked confused.

Throwing me aside, he retreated to his end of the sofa. “God, you’re such a bitch. I don’t even want to talk to you anymore.”

NYer returned as I was rubbing my wrists. He quickly lowered his eyes, embarrassed. “Am I interrupting something?”

“I want to go home,” I muttered, standing up. I was hit with a wave of nausea. I’d been drinking champagne, and in spite of eating six pancakes I was still intoxicated.

“’I want to go home,’” K whined. He stood up and jerked me off the sofa. “Come on, Princess.”

He pulled me along the street, past concerned elders and snickering teenagers. “You can’t treat me this way!” I finally shouted, tearing out of his grip. The street was wavering and as I staggered back I held his arm for support.

“I want to be treated like one of the guys,” I pleaded, locking his gaze. “You know you make me uncomfortable. You have to stop.”

“Your life must be so difficult,” he said. “Poor little princess with so many problems. You’re such a fucking virgin. Get over yourself.”

I didn’t know where we were. The subways stations were closed and my stuff was still at his apartment.

Back at his place, I assessed the situation as he undressed only a foot away from me. Clearly, I was too disoriented to get home on my own. My phone was dead and I was in an unfamiliar neighborhood. At the time, I felt like I had no choice but to stay.

“Just to show you what a gentleman I am,” he murmured, “I’m sleeping on the floor.”

Pia at 12:43 AM

2 comments

2 Comments

at 9:47 AM Blogger Kevin Sole said...

A perfectly good intro to the story. I'm concerned about where it might lead, but, I guess that's a sign of a good story, that it pulls you in, regardless if you want to know more.

That make any sense? :p

My opinion? A gentleman doesn't call a lady a bitch. Even if he is sleeping on the floor.

 
at 12:26 PM Blogger Pia said...

I always appreciate your thoughts, Kevin.

I originally planned to write "Full Moon" as one long entry, but it's more complicated than I'd originally thought.

I expect the next chapter (chapters?) will be published within the next month. And even then it will remain unfinished and somewhat ambiguous.

Although I like to think of myself as an honest blogger, it is difficult to distance myself emotionally from the parties involved, whether they were assholes or not.

In between chapters I'd like to focus more on Korean culture and social issues. The blog has been rather moody as of late, and while I do have my darker moments, on the whole my experiences in Korea have been positive ones. I hope to share them with you and my small collection of readers.

 

Post a Comment