Friday, October 21, 2005

Pia In Wonderland

So it's non-official until I sign the contract, but I will fly to South Korea on November 7th and teach kindergarten/elementary classes.

Now you'll recall that this particular school was my second choice. However, according to my recruiter, they were persistent and vocal of their admiration for your devoted scribe. For some reason I found that especially endearing. N has worked with them before and finds them accommodating. Since they have only two other English teachers, I'll be valuable--as opposed to the other school, which has 12 and would most likely find me disposable. Also, their class size ranges from six to ten students, which is perfect.

I've checked out the city's official website and it seems like a well-populated, safe and aesthetically pleasing area. Plus it's only a half-hour bus trip away from Incheon and Seoul.

Soon after my shift ended last night, I woke my mother and cried, which resulted in a lecture about being strong and keeping the frustration inside. Ahhh, Asian mothers . . . After we both calmed down, we laid out a game plan. I'm sure she remains skeptical on whether or not I can really do this, which will drive me to succeed as an ESL teacher more than anything else.

Why the tears? Well, I'm still concerned about learning the Korean language and alphabet. And making friends. When I spoke to one of the school's teachers, she encouraged me to bring as many tampons as I could carry, since those are hard to find. Do women not menstruate there or something? (Please feel free to email me an answer.)

While my parents are busting their minds wondering if my apartment is furnished and if I really, really want to do this, a majority of my thoughts lie with my reclusive, self-indulgent and short-lived hobbies. Do Koreans know about Teflon and should I bring my non-stick frying pan? Can I have my French Press mailed to the apartment? Are there running trails or a running group I can join? Tae Kwon Do and English classes? Will I have enough mind-blowing experiences for this blog? Comic books! And for heaven's sake, where is the closest fabric store?

And friends, of course. My hugest beef with Nevada was the loneliness. I'm severely introverted but extended periods of solitude pain me. Last night I searched online for American expats in the area, emailed a woman interested in forming a women's social group and joined the English Speakers in South Korea community on Yahoo.

But I shouldn't have the time to worry! I have to register with the embassy, buy trinkets for my future students, pay off the remainder of my debts (while beginning new ones with my parents) and humor a legion of concerned relatives. I hope my boss accepts my two weeks notice, otherwise I'll go crazy with all these preparations.

Pia at 5:45 AM

2 comments

2 Comments

at 3:08 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

"So it's non-official until I sign the contract, but I will fly to Paju, South Korea, on November 7th and teach kindergarten/elementary classes."

Best of luck! :D

"When I spoke to one of the school's teachers, she encouraged me to bring as many tampons as I could carry, since those are hard to find. Do women not menstruate there or something?"

Maybe they use pads?

 
at 2:50 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know where people get the notion that there are not tampons in Korea. There aren't many to choose from, but it's available. Your concerns were probably the same that many people have when they come to Korea. For me, I was too busy packing to be worried that I didn't even speak a word of Korean. I brought SHAMPOO the first time I came!!

 

Post a Comment