Saturday, October 29, 2005

Look, Kids! An Illegal Alien!

Turns out I'll receive my work visa days after I arrive in South Korea. Since a lot of foreign teachers are hired only a few weeks before their contracts start, delays are expected. However, my paranoia has led me to wonder what I'd look like behind bars.

The representative from the recruitment agency gave me my itinerary over the phone. Turns out the school is sending me a one-way ticket to Korea and a one-way ticket to Japan. Needless to say, I was a bit concerned.

"I don't even know Japanese," I said, wondering why the school would expect me to get my visa in another country all by myself.

"You won't go there," he said. "You just show this to them at customs. When they ask you questions, you tell them you aren't staying in Korea--that you'll be leaving for Tokyo in a month."

A few days ago, I was worrying over whether or not I would be allowed to carry my knitting needles in my handbag. Now I have to memorize a song and dance for customs! This little trip of mine is turning out to be more adventurous than I'd planned.

Pia at 4:33 PM

0 comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment